Monday, 20 February 2017
  1 Replies
  1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Another future project; a flow bench. At some point down the track I want to get to the position where I can build and modify my own heads and test / verify the results on a dyno. Found these plans for a DIY flow bench whilst surfing for DIY Dyno info...
Rate this post:
Mick Percy
updated the category from General to General — 2 months ago
Mick Percy
set the type of the post as  Discussion — 2 months ago
2 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
So a lot has happened in the past 6 / 7 years. I did actually end up making a flow bench, but rather than follow the traditional constructions of using a manometer and orifice plates as outlined in the PDF above, I decided to design and build a system that uses automotive MAF sensors. I also went one step further and released it as an open source project.

After many experiments and several iterations I ended up with a system based on the ESP32 micro controller and designed a custom PCB 'shield' that integrates the necessary pressure and environmental sensors on one board.

IMG_8562.jpg
Some early tests

DIY Flow Bench.jpg
Initial versions used an LED display

IMG_20210903_143935.jpg
V1 Prototype PCB

AltTiles.png
The interface is now web based and accessed from a browser

All of the work to date is available under the GNU open source license and is available for free. So you can build your own flow bench for relatively little cost if you have some patience and some basic soldering skills

You can download the project files via my GitHub account. There is more info in the Wiki on the GitHub page and also on the website. I also created a Facebook page way back when I started this project, but whilst initially created to support the project it had now morphed into a community with over 8,000 members and covers a wider range of flow benches.

The main project is still a work in progress and I am hoping to finalise and release the V3 PCB along with updated interface code some time this year.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.