Sunday, 19 February 2017
  4 Replies
  0.9K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Going to put this here for future reference as I'm planning on putting together a squishy engine at some point, Please feel free to chime in if you want. Great info on squishy piston / head design... http://www.theoldone.com/articles/The_Soft_Head_1999/
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Found a photo. Pretty sure it is not an ACN photo but it shows what is described in the articles above. The owner of this design basically started out with a clay impression of his head and replicated it on the piston. He kept refining the shape until he eliminated valve clash. http://vdubber.com/index.php?option=com_easysocial&view=groups&layout=preview&fileid=26&tmpl=component
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Been trying to find some cheap 85.5mm pistons with a crown with enough material to be machined into a squishy design. Diesels seem to be the way to go but most seem to have a hole in the crown. Also need to figure out the crown design that would work with twin plugs.
2 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
Wow been 6 years since I posted this up. I'm still slowly chipping away at making my own supersquish style pistons. I did reach out to John at ACN a few years back, to see if he would be prepared to do a run of standard sized pistons, but the lack of demand made it prohibitive (unless I wanted to purchase multiple sets). So, somewhere on the horizon I will eventually make something akin to a supersquish for the Okrasa engine I'm building.

Here's where I'm at...

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 12.16.30 pm.png

I've scanned the combustion chambers of the heads, this has given me a 'plug' of the chamber shape. This shape needs to be refined so that there is a void at the plug locations. This will force the charge towards the plug and confine it ready for the ignition event.

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 12.21.45 pm.png

Once the shape has been finalised I can then go ahead and machine the pistons.

Which leads me to my next challenge - upgrading my desktop CNC. Whilst it would just about machine the pistons, it's not really enough guts to produce the kind of results I need. So I really need to pull my finder out and get my CNC mill finished off.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.